At a Greenbook #IIeX event I chaired recently, a speaker was really tight for cash. She had a great talk prepared, she was ready to take the stage for the very first time, and she has an awesome future ahead of her as a speaker. But since she didn’t work for a private company and she was wasn’t made of money herself, she needed a boost of cash or she would end up in debt making it happen.
I took to gofundme, shared the request with my network, and got a lot of help from very kind people. Enough to give this new speaker a bit of a safety net and enough that I still have some cash.
With that in mind, I have two objectives.
- If you would like to help more new speakers get on stage, please donate here.
- If you are in need of cash, read through my criteria below, and see if you qualify. If you do qualify, I expect you have the initiative to figure out how to send me your information.
The Criteria To Recieve Cash
- I must be able to personally verify all of the details I request from you
- I must be able to connect with you on LinkedIn and see that you are legit. References from people I know would be helpful but absolutely not necessary.
- You must have received an acceptance to speak at a market researchconference
- It must be for the first talk you have ever given at a conference
- You must demonstrate how you speaking at the conference increases the diversity of speakers at that conference
- You must tell me all of your sources of funding for the conference, including who your employer is and how much your employer is contributing
Other Items of Note
- I will not respond to any queries other than to tell the people who are successful
- If you are successful, you must agree to being publicly named as a recipient. (The donors deserve to know.)
- I will not fund anyone completely. You will still be responsible for a large portion of your costs.
- My decisions are 100% subjective, final, and nonnegotiable.
- Probably some other rules that didn’t occur to me along the way. See my note re 100% subjective
Yes, this sounds like a lot of rigmarole but people are donating their hard earned money to help deserving, undersupported people and I need to make sure their money is well spent.
Thank you for supporting diversity!