Now a regular session at IIeX NA, I’m delighted to introduce you to the speakers taking part in the New Speaker Track! These folks have never spoken at a conference before so let’s give them a hearty hello and welcome!
Today we meet KaRene Smith, Founder of Shine Insight. Find KaRene on LinkedIn.
- Why have you never spoken at a conference before? The opportunity has never presented itself and, oddly enough, I’ve spent the past several years selecting the topics and crafting the speaking decks for numerous conferences. My words and slides have been present, just not me.
- What tip have you received that was most helpful in preparing to be a speaker? For years, I have been an ardent follower of Nancy Duarte, so it would be hard to pick just one tip that has been the best. But I believe that the most important thing that most people forget is to get the story first and work on slides last. Slides should be support for your talk – not the other way around. Also, they should not be text-heavy documents or used as a teleprompter.
- What would you say/recommend to other people who have never spoken at a conference before? The audience isn’t expecting you to be perfect, so don’t stress about that. If you know your topic, do your pract
- ice, and put in the time understand what your audience truly wants out of the session, you’ll knock it out of the park.
- Why do you want to speak at IIeX? After 20 years working on the supplier and client side, I’m in the process of starting my own insights agency. Speaking is a perfectly fitting way to kick off my new adventure.
- What are you most looking forward to about IIeX? There are so many amazing things happening in our industry right now that it’s a challenge to keep up. I’ll be scanning all the booths and sessions to search out new tools or perspectives that I can take to my clients or increase my own knowledge. Also, you can’t beat a conference to reconnect with old colleagues and make interesting new connections.
KaRene Smith, Founder, Shine Insight
KaRene is one of the rare simultaneous left and right-brained individuals who enjoys digging into data just as much as creating logos. For the past 20 years, she has worked in a variety of insights roles supporting some of the world’s biggest brands including P&G and Levi Strauss. She has had a unique career including roles in analysis, consulting, training, art direction, and marketing. Today, she is working on her own endeavor, Shine Insight, a research consultancy to help insights professionals shine in today’s’ rapidly evolving industry.
Tell Me a (Visual) Story: Packaging Insights for Your Insight Consumers
4:40pm – 5:00pm Jun 11
There are countless articles, books, and workshops on the topic of storytelling. As insights professionals, we know how important a story is to get the attention of often distracted business partners. But all humans are visual creatures and to make the most impact you must combine both story and compelling visualization. This session will discuss some key visualization principles to ensure that your results can break through:
– Visual Design 101
– Tools and Tips
– Do and Don’t
– Going beyond Powerpoint